A Brief History
Newcastle Lake Macquarie Clay Target Club originated in 1947, named "Shortland Gun Club". The original location was in swampland and 12-15 members attended each shoot. Ammunition was made by using mine fuse for powder and knocking the primer back out with a nail to be refilled with match head material.
In 1950 the club moved to the adjoining property to Searle's Dairy. A tent was used for the office/clubhouse/bar and one hand trap was used.
In 1955, 31 members were sent to the National Titles in Melbourne. The team won 11 major placing’s, these titles were held for the selection of the Australian Olympic Team for Melbourne in 1956. Also in 1956 Danny Mott (inventor of Dammo traps) and Stewart Mordue organised the club's moved to Merewether on Hunter District Waterboard land, where it was renamed Newcastle Gun Club.
During the 1960's and 70's the club installed a skeet layout and remained at the Merewether grounds until 1991. There had been pressure for them to relocate which they had resisted for six years, but were eventually evicted by the State Environment Minister as the land had become part of coastal parkland.
In November 1991 the club relocated to its present position at the Awaba site, it was built through hard and dedicated work by its then members. The first competition on the grounds was held with two DTL and 2 Skeet layouts. The official opening was on March 21st 1992. See our In the Beginning album for photos of the construction.
In the years up to the present the grounds have grown to now cater for shooters with 5 DTL, three American Skeet, three ISSF Skeet, 3 Olympic Trap and 4 Universal Trench layouts, one permanent 5 Stand layout with capabilities to set up more if required and a 50tgt Field layout.
2000 accredited Olympic Training Facility.
The club house is now home to modern facilities including computers to sign in shooters, run shoots, show scores and advertise for upcoming events. Tv for viewing results and giving kids something extra to do on rainy days. Campaigning by the 2016/17 committee saw the club purchase an automated external defibrillator (AED). The AED is positioned outside the office door for quick access.